Sunday, April 24, 2016

And so it begins

I grew up at New Life Church. I was there in children's church, Jr. High, Highschool, college, engaged months, young married, and had four kids while attending that church. Talk about family. I knew nothing else (well... I went to another church when I was 20 and was dating this guy there and singing in the choir... but I loved New Life so much I actually went to 2 churches every week. And then there was this short stint when I lived in Guatemala.... ), and I didn't care to know anything else. It was home. It was good.

And there is a really cool story here where in Spring 2012 I felt like we were supposed to leave our church. Our church where I imagined bringing grandkids some day - I had a feeling our time there was coming to an end. But my husband did not feel the same thing. At that same time, some friends were going through a transition, and I "heard a word" (literally a single word) regarding them.... and shared it with them. (this whole story segment is about 3 months long, but I'm summing up.)

So I share the word with them. It's amazing. They are blown away by God and His timing... yada yada..... It took me 2 weeks to share it because the word was just so dumb. It was "Florida". What about Florida??? I wanted to elaborate, but God just kept telling me to say that ONE word. Well, it turns out they were talking about moving to Florida. Incredible. But - I sat on that word for 2 weeks. Kept my mouth shut because I was worried about sounding dumb. (They've lived in Florida now for almost 3 years)

It was the SAME night I shared with them, and they shared the confirmation of that in their lives with me, that we were driving and my husband said, "I think we are supposed to leave New Life". OH. My. Gosh.

Timing. Coincidence? I think not.

We had no grievances with that church. We did not leave under bad blood. We both honestly felt God calling us elsewhere. And we didn't even have to church hunt - it was meant to be Alethia.  We have been there almost 3 years, and we love it.

I was never planning to leave New Life. It was good. It was great. I would be crazy to leave. But... if God told me to 'go', would I? Was I willing to give up comfort and home, and family and friends? (obviously I could see them outside of Sundays, but you understand what I'm saying here...)

Would I go?
I guess the answer is yes. Ha. (If you've been paying attention to the story so far)
Would you go? If everything around you is right and good? Comfortable and amazing? Would you, could you leave?

The answer is yes, you can leave when God works on your heart.
Alethia folks (my church) are family. In fact, one of them I, (would swear if I was a swearing girl) promise, is my brother from another mother. I have found life long forever friends at that church that I never would have known if it wasn't for obedience.

I'm so grateful I (we) listened.

No comments:

Post a Comment