Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cooking with Rachel


My husband is cooking me a meal for Mother's day. Because he wants me to feel special. Because I deserve it (his words). Because he wants to. (awwww....)

I'm excited and a little scared. He said I could pick anything from our cookbooks. I did. I warned him it seemed complicated. He was busy playing with children on the floor when I told him. I put the cookbook down and went to put the baby to bed.

Fast forward one hour: he is looking through the cookbook and says something looks good and that is what he is making for dinner. Guess what? - it was the same recipe I picked! (apparently he was paying attention to me while wrestling on the floor with our kids)

It is from the Rachel Ray cookbook 30min meals 2. (not the exact title here...but you get the idea) Lamb Chops with mint and mustard dipping sauces (with two sides and dessert) Mmmmmmm!!! Excited!!

Uhh... and a little scared because so far in this marriage his idea of cooking consists of heating up frozen veggies and grilling hotdogs. So....

However, I myself am NOT a chef by any stretch of the imagination - so it is this comment from my husband that caused me to write to you today. He was thumbing through the pages of her cookbook and said I should cook through her book and blog about it. (yes, yes, much like the Julia movie that just came out) Unfortunately, I do not have those kinds of guts. I'm too much of a wimp to commit to that and to you like that. Maybe he is just trying to get some decent meals around here... I dunno.

The recipes sound good - but seem terribly .... I don't know....professional. Plus, they like... have more than three or four ingredients. Scary!! If there are that many ingredients it must be complicated - right??? I'm intimidated by the titles of some of them alone. Sometimes I don't even get to the ingredient list before I chicken out!

So that is my story for the day. My husband is treating me to (what I hope is) a nice, quiet, romantic, delicious dinner. My hubby thinks I should cook through the Rachel Ray cookbook. I got a knot in my stomach and a giggle in my head thinking about it. And... thought I'd share with you!

To all the Mothers out there - happy Mother's day - and here's to no cooking!! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment