Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A good (hard) days work

So today after school, me and the kids helped a friend clear out her garden before our city gets a freeze tonight.

Boy Howdy. I haven't worked harder in months!! I am soooo sore! But we got a lot of work done.

She has a large garden and we picked about 70 tomatoes still on the vine - though most of them green. We tore up the tomato plants and piled them on the melon patch. Then we covered all of that with plastic.

We put tarps on her summer squash that are still going to town. I hope it works and that her plants survive the freeze tonight.

I am now sitting here in my warm little house listening to ... hail? snow pellets??...something... occasionally hit the roof. And it's cold outside!!

80 degrees today. We were sweating working that garden, but now everyone is tucked into bed with their 'warm' pj's.

And as I sit here writing to you, I am glad that my kids got a chance to work hard. I'm listening to the Presidential debate happening in my own backyard of Denver. They talk about hard work, fair shares, etc, etc. But once upon a time, long, long ago people had to hunt or raise animals and work, work, work large gardens because there weren't super mega marts down the street. It was good for my kids to do work that pays off - eventually, and to realize that not all rewards are immediate.

More of the grown-ups in this country could stand a long days work in the garden too.

No comments:

Post a Comment