Thursday, November 11, 2010

handwriting on the wall

This is a small snapshot of some of my feelings about children and school:
  • I love the idea of school - as in a small break during the day that I don't have EVERYONE needing something from me.
  • I do believe, whatever you do for schooling, you should be an involved parent.
  • Homeschooling. I was for a few years. Liked it. Isn't for everyone. Me do it now?? Heck no. See the first comment above.
  • I like the break school gives me (have I mentioned this yet?)
  • Schools should do a really good job teaching my children. Not only the core subjects, but morals, values... you know... reinforce the things we the parents are teaching at home.
I have always been the one to say, "God would have to have 'handwriting on the wall' in order for me to homeschool my kids!"

Weeellllll...... (deep breath and sigh)
I am happy to say that I get the opportunity to really know and educate and mold my son. We are taking him out of his current school after the Christmas break to homeschool him. (I'm guessing the handwriting ended up on my heart - not the wall.)

It will be temporary. Just the spring semester if he gets into the charter school his sister will be going to.... or for a year and a half max. Then back to 'regular' (the charter) school.

I am excited. But.... what if it is the excited that you get when you are pregnant dreaming about the sweet bundle you will bring home - and then you bring home this crying, poopy, spitting up bundle??
There are many many choices for education and so many books and opportunities that I can share with and teach Alex. I would say with a fair amount of confidence that I can't do any worse than the school he is in now...

This is the reason why we are doing this (in an itty bitty nutshell):
He was supposed to be in this said charter school, but.... there was a little complication due to birthdates. They accepted him last year, but we didn't want him to repeat kindergarten, but they couldn't put him in first grade. So we kept him in his current school for another year even though it wasn't meant to be a long-term place. He is still there, and frankly, I am a little less than pleased. I feel some knowledge and basic subjects are lacking, and they are kind of dumbing him down. So to speak. He is learning. But not all the stuff I'd like.

During our time together at home, I get to catch him up to 'where he should be', watch two little kids, still manage the house - and now school planning. This should be interesting people!! :) It is not an exaggeration to say I'm not the best at managing my home right now. I really don't HAVE to add to my list of duties.... but somethimgs are just worth doing.... for the long run.

2 comments:

  1. with ALL we chatted about the other day...how did we miss this topic?!? ;)
    I think it will be great for him and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be a challenge, but you won't regret it I think. You are a good mama to sacrifice your "break" for your boy!

    ReplyDelete