Monday, January 3, 2011

First Date - The Story of Us part 5

We all have our moments. Those not so pretty moments. Or days, or weeks..... I was having one.

I am a fairly emotional and dramatic person. Those connotations can be read as negative things.. but they can be really good things too! Emotion is good. A little drama is good too. Nobody wants to be around some statuesque person who never dares to do or say anything exciting.

Trust me. I don't really pull too many punches. Constantly in our marriage, Patrick is reminding me that the conversation we had with so-and-so the other night... well, I pretty well 'crossed the line' with my bluntness. I just say it like it is. If you ever walk up to me and I don't have much to say... I'm probably saying it like it is - in my head - so you just can't hear me. That is the only protection I have against myself!

So back to our first date.

I had this guy friend that I did everything with. Movies, boating, dancing, sitting and watching TV. You name it. He was a great friend, and it was a great time. What I didn't realize at the time, was that single guys don't just want to be friends. (I was pretty naive...)

So Patrick called, and wanted to get together for coffee. Sure! I'll go! Who doesn't want to make and have more friends??? (Surely it couldn't a date... that hadn't really occurred to me) People need to have many friends in their lives.

I went and we had 'coffee'. (I don't drink it, so I bet I had hot cocoa)

Here's the thing. I had loved and lost more than what you know of....there was of course more past heart history with guys than just Worm Poop and Brian. I was only 22, but I was so tired of guys. Fine, fine... I'll just be an old maid. Whatever. Guys are stupid. Guys... apparently... will never like me at the same time I like them, or have the same level of emotions. Marriage shmarriage. So what if it was my life-long dream?? I will just assume it wasn't meant to be.

(told ya I can be dramatic....)

And that, my friend, is how I went on this date. Guys, shmuys.

I told Patrick everything. Yep. Everything. Our family history, parents divorce, past boyfriends, past loves... hopes dreams.... random thoughts, Tara-isms.... everything.

I thought the night went pretty well. What did I care??? :) Guys, shmuys, right???? If I was going to be an old maid, it really didn't matter if I was open and honest, and just truly me to the core while I got coffee with this... stranger.

I got home and went back to Mom's room. She was hanging up some clothes in her closet before getting ready for bed. I remember her smiling, kind of slyly, and asking how it went. I told her great, but that I'll never see that guy again!

She stopped what she was doing and asked why. I filled her in. She didn't think it was a wise move, but what did she know??? Didn't she know I was going to grow old alone??? I didn't see how it mattered.

Here's the kicker. And that most amazing thing. Patrick called the. very. next. day.

We went out again the next night. To a movie. (was that just a ploy so he wouldn't have to listen to me talk??)
Anyway, it was snowing. We went to Tinseltown, and we were early, so we went to Target next door and walked around. On the walk back to the theater there was a snowball fight.

Weren't we just flirty little things?? All I know was that I had a great time. Again.
Who was this guy?? Very intriguing. Genuine. Interesting.

Needless to say, in the following week, I think we had about four dates. And the momentum picked up from there. Although... to be completely honest with you... I'm not sure I knew we were dating. I did know though.. that I had found a very good friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment