Wednesday, April 18, 2012

God answers prayers....

...but not like you think.

This post is completely inspired by my day's work today. I'm loading the dishwasher (obviously not right now... but a few seconds ago. heehee) and I couldn't help but smile and have a little inside giggle. That is when I decided to share with you.

When I was young. I mean... younger.... I read somewhere that after the age of 30 it is like, I don't know 10 times/30 times.... (much) harder to learn new things. Because of brain cells dying off and other scientific facts that I don't remember. (doh! - it's started!)

ANYWAYS..... (random, poorly typed blog shall now continue)

I was horrified. The article said learning a musical instrument or new language... anything was immensely more challenging after 30 .....da da da dum.... UNLESS (magical word there), unless you keep learning and don't stop. ie: most people just drive to work, eat food, watch sports.... routine, routine, routine. Nothing new. No new learning experiences = dead brain cells. You have to keep learning, and ...wah-la. You are okay. Brain cells won't die off so fast.

So I prayed. No, seriously.
God. GOD, 30 is too young to be stupid. Keep me learning my whole life.

I had no idea what I had just done.

I am over 30 now, and let me tell you. I think I have more brain cells now than when I was 7. He keeps the challenges and experiences a'comin!!

In the last couple of years, I have learned:
  • How to split a log
  • that watermelon seeds germinate faster if you soak them in milk
  • cock a gun
  • that goats need to have their hooves clipped every so often
  • that ducks don't get feathers until they are 5-9 weeks old
  • that flour doesn't make a dry shampoo
  • that eggs don't condition your hair well at all if you plan on having a hot shower
  • that basements need to have floating walls, studs must be 16 inches or closer, and bathrooms must have exhaust fans installed to pass inspection
  • that yarrow can stop a nose bleed
  • about ten 'new' notes on the violin
  • about 6-10 'new' piano chords
  • that cattail roots are edible but don't taste good
  • 4 new piano songs
  • that to get beet seeds you have to let them over winter
  • how to make my own dishwasher detergent
  • that if you rock against a dead tree for a couple of days, it will fall over, but you will be sore for at least two days more
  • and a whole bunch of other stuff that would baffle you as to why I know it.
But looking at my life and this stuff... I can say that God does answer prayers.... just be careful for what you ask.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I love what you've learned recently!!! I'm not sure I could sum up my recent live lessons quite so well.

    ReplyDelete