Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Late, Late Show

Starring none other than your very own..... me.

I am alone (once again) in my house after 9pm.

Did I say alone? Oh, I'm sorry, I apologize. I mean awake.

It is "good Christian values" to not live with a person before you marry them. No, God believes in surprises and has an amazing sense of humor.

I knew Patrick (we didn't date the whole time) two years before we got married. In two YEARS everytime we hung out in groups or alone we lived on Tara time. ie: we were awake past 9:30.

Heck, 90% of the time we were up til 11 or so. I did have to be to work at 6:40 in the morning back then and I'm not a morning person. Really, I'm not. So I had to call it quits before midnight. I didn't want to get fired over a relationship with a boy! ;)

The problem is, that, I don't always think the things God allows to be super hilarious.

Like coming home to our apartment after the honeymoon, it was 8:30 pm and Patrick announced he was going to bed. !!

WHAAAAAAt?!?!?

WHO did I just marry. He had to be joking. Was he serious??? What had I done???

As I stood there in the livingroom/dining room/office of our apartment staring at the empty room and gifts around me and hearing him already 'snoring' in the next room, it dawned on me he was serious. Oh dang.

And so, on the first night back from our honeymoon I learned a very valuable lesson. Well several.
My husband is not joking when he says he's tired.
If it is 8pm and he announces he is tired, expect him to be sleeping within 10 nano-seconds.
If it is winter, he will probably be asleep by the time the sun goes down. We all hope he is home and not still on the drive there.... okay, he doesn't have a sleep disorder... that was too much. But hun, you know it's true that in the winter you barely make it much past sunset.

Look. I love sleep as much as the next person. I love my bed. I love my pillow and my feather comforter. Oh, I do! Ever heard that saying, my bed is the drug and my pillow is the dealer, and the alarm clock is the police?? Is that how it goes??? Yeah, well, I love sleeping IN.

So, anyway, here I am writing to you. We have a smallish house. I can't sing right now. I can't play the piano. Or the violin. Or watch a movie on the flat screen. Those things all make noise. I could try to clean, but that is also so limited. Dishes rattling, can't vaccuum..... and so I am here with you.

On the computer. That is where I live/work after 10pm if I don't decide to join the others. But it's not all terrible. I do like the alone time. The down time, and the personal, I can-do-whatever-I-want time.
And hey, God invented ear phones for moments like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment