Monday, July 18, 2011

My garden theology

I have a large garden. It was my dream to have one. I'm totally grateful and happy....and frankly a little overwhelmed. ;)

As I work and walk through my garden I've had some 'spiritual' thoughts. Here's a few of them:

Weeds:  You think I'm gonna say they are like sin in our lives - needing to be pulled by the root. Right?? Wrong. My weeds are not the sin. They are life. Busyness. The things that keep us (the beautiful garden plant) from growing to our full potential. The things that drain us, much like the weeds in the garden drain the plants from their strength and can actually kill them if left to grow and grow unchecked.

Sometimes 'weeds' may be birthday parties, and grocery shopping, and laundry, and play dates, and exercise at the gym, oil changes.... and.... all the things that keep you soooooo busy. Weeds in the garden sure keep me busy!!! Just like life, we need to keep our busyness to a minimum sometimes so we can concentrate and focus - on God, on true growing. Don't let the weeds choke you.

Hurry up and grow:  I want a genuine relationship with the Lord. I don't want your spiritual life, even though you seem to be tight with God, I want my own version of God-closeness....but I want it NOW. I have this vision of what my life will look like, and what I'll be doing. I also have a vision of my garden and what it will look like years from now. Unfortunately, neither are currently close to the vision 'picture' I have in my head. Some gardeners use Miracle Grow. That is fine. I don't. I don't want to add chemicals to my garden.

It's like my life. I need to be the best 'me' I can....but it is hard not to want to do a personal 'cheat'. It is hard to keep my garden pure from chemicals just to make it grow bigger and faster. But that is just like life. We need to keep our hearts pure. Once you pour the chemicals on and they spread into the soil it is hard to get them out! Purity is good, but it takes time to see results and it can be hard to follow through, but the end result is always worth it.

Gophers and voles: Here's the sin peeps. You can be the most beautiful, popular, amazing person, but if you have sin, under the surface destroying you, and all you were meant to offer- it doesn't matter what you have going for you on the surface of your life. Like we have all heard time and again, it's what inside that counts.

My gophers and voles - man... it is hard to keep sin from encroaching into our lives! Pesky little things. Like Satan, they do not give up easily. Yes, I guess I'm referring to gophers as Satan... haha. Seriously though, this is where you pull out the big guns. Don't just buy 'repellent'. Oh no... buy poison. You have to get RID of those guys, just as you need to be serious about getting rid of sin. It will completely eat you up under the surface and destroy who you were meant to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment