Friday, November 18, 2011

I live in the 18th century

Several months ago we moved from a newer home in a cookie cutter neighborhood. It was built in 2004 - and we decorated the inside ourselves. No one else's bad taste in style had marred the house. It was a fresh blank slate. We painted the walls - can't stand white ones, we had brand new kitchen appliances, a yard we planted and designed ourselves and most modern conveniences.
A sump pump in the basement
Double paned modern plastic windows
A garage door that opened with a remote.

Do you take those things for granted?? Are they just expected in this day and age?? We don't have any of those now. :)

I moved from there to the land (LAND) of our dreams. The house is more...ghetto ... than we would have liked, but our budget didn't allow for both beautiful land and house. ;) But, you see, you can fix up a house with a little hard work, elbow grease and money. You can't do a tremendous amount about crappy land. So, the land won out.

One of the little nuances of living here, is that the washing machine drains outside. No. Literally, outside in the yard. You can see it from the road - because where the pipe comes out and drains... all the grasses and weeds are both tall and green in that little strip of earth. :)

Well, this is all fine and good, reusing water to 'water' the lawn... but in the winter I can't do wash when the temps are below freezing. Just in case the pipe or any standing water in it is frozen, the wash water would back up into the house. So if we have a cold snap of three weeks or so this winter, expect me to start flipping my underwear inside out! HAHHAhahaha!

Oh. And our dryer has been broken since before the move. It is just a $20 heating element - so I'm told. It's on the honey-do list. But... It's not his fault. He's been putting in some really long hours. We'll leave it at that.

I have a clothesline.... which I love actually. LOVE. The clothes smell incredible after hanging out. Downy has nothing on fresh air!! The problem with a day like today is, it IS above freezing, so I ran three loads of wash. And it was windy, so that helped dry the first load fast so that I could hang out the second and third loads. But, at 55 degrees, your hands absolutely freeze handling those cold wet clothes!! Brrrrrr! And at 40 degrees, I need a cup of hot cocoa when I come inside just to thaw and reward my work.

And that... my friends is how a little bit of my life is still 18th century. (except the washing machine part.... I hope that doesn't go!)

No comments:

Post a Comment