Monday, November 28, 2011

Time to let them go??

I own a lot of clothes. That is true. But I don't spend a lot on clothes - which is good and bad for several reasons. I get most of my wardrobe from the thrift stores, and another decent portion from my super stylish sis' hand-me-downs! (Thank you forever and forever B - you rock!)
The down-side, is that it is a wardrobe just mushed together. Not a lot of rhyme and reason - just cute stuff (to me) that was cheap or free. And that can mean that sometimes - you just don't look good. When you are a size (say 8) and you are trying to fit into the size (let's say...12) - you just don't look good no matter how cute/stylish/trendy the pants are. You just don't. Even if you tuck in shirts and wear mutiple belts. It's doesn't work. And it certainly doesn't look amazing.
 Yet, I hang on to them, because - you guessed it -
they are uber cute.
This is not good.
A good thing about my closet is - I have my own. At our old house we (hubs and I) shared a small master closet. At this house - we each have our own. (Yes, I know I rag on my house and say we live in the ghetto - but our closets ROCK) They are both deep and wide. Love them.
And in my own space, I can do whatever I want. First and foremost no matter what size closet I have ever had, I organize. I like to actually find what I think I might like to wear, and/or match my clothes on any given day. Call me crazy.
So the whole closet is color organized. Above? As if you can't tell - those are my tees. Yes. I own that many t-shirts. And why not? I can (theoretically) sleep in them, layer them in the winter, they are stars of the summer wardrobe.... so you need many. (at least that's what I like to say, cause gosh it's hard to decide how to thin them!)

I even have a place to hang my scarves for any season (pictured), and a spot for my winter scarves(not pictured), plus some of my 'big' jewelry. (if you can see it - that is one of my fav pics of my sis and me. I went blonde, long and curly with my hair, in a white dress. She was dark, straight and short with her hair, and wearing black. It felt like we were opposites of cinematic proportions that day, and I had this photo taken.)


I stagger my jeans so the piles don't flop over. (yes I have a lot of those too, but I don't work in an office, so it's perfectly fine) Somehow, I have ended up with two pink hats, two olive green hats (how does that happen?), and two beige hats. Weird. (This is just turning out to be the most fascinating blog huh? not. Um, please keep reading. I'm almost to my point.)

My boots. I'm so proud of them. I had the black ones from a couple years ago - at the thrift store. This year I have been wishing and hoping for a brown pair - for you know, the brown outfits. I went to the thrift store two weeks ago - and guess what - both browns were there - in my size!! Can you believe it? I can - because I actually am soooo loved by God. (I also 'conversed with God' for dark skinny jeans to be there - and found two great pairs!!! Yea God!)

Anyways....... all this stuff, and basically - you don't wear it all. They say we wear 20% of our clothes 80% percent of the time. So that means I have many unworn clothes just sitting there. I call them the 'ugly' clothes. Let's face it. They may actually be ugly, or not, but either way, you aren't wearing them. You know it. They know it. ;)

So, I am on a mission. I'm wearing the 'ugly' clothes. (good, favorite stand-by clothes that I love....I'll be back soon) I figure, if I wear them and hate them.... just face the facts and get rid of them. Stop holding on to them because 'someday' there might be a themed bridal shower for a friend in the Spring for which this dress would be perfect !! Or  because 'someday' when I am horse-back riding, those knickers would look soooo adorable with that hat.

Yeah. That's not ever gonna happen. I don't know who I think I am. I work in a garden. I work at a computer. I raise kids, and empty garbage, and kneel beside a bathtub washing girl's hair. I drive a 'truck' most days, and shop mainly grocery stores.

Now, that doesn't mean I need to dress terribly, but I also don't need all the 'someday what if' outfits. So they are slowly but surely heading to the thrift store to bless some other lady out there, just hoping and praying for red corduroy pants, or a dress for a spring-time themed bridal shower.

A week ago I wore this cut-off tan corduroy skirt to church. I wasn't sure if I should rock it or chock it. And even though I felt like I was channeling a 70's chick, I liked the skirt. It gets to stay. For now.


No comments:

Post a Comment