Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Banner Day

You see that tag line under my blog title?? It's true. The very best parents in the world are those that have no children. Suddenly you have kids... and boom! Your perfect parent dreams go into the diaper pail with the exploded diarrhea diaper your baby just had.

But! This last Saturday was bliss. Pure bliss. I was... THAT mom. The June Cleaver, Betty Crocker, Martha Stewart super mom! Ahhhh....

Saturday the kids cleaned their rooms. Then we took them to the park - with fresh homemade zucchini bread and June Cleaver apples, sliced nice with cinnamon and sugar - it wasn't just three apples thrown haphazardly into the sack. Patrick and I even had warm chicken jambalaya! :) They all swung on the swings at the same time like some kind of picture perfect Anne Geddes scene.

They played kick ball in the grass with dad, we saw Grandparents, everyone was in a pretty good mood. I even had a few minutes to sun the very very white thighs I've been hiding under pants.

Later we took all four to the library and each got to pick out some books. At bedtime, I read a story to each and everyone of them. Lovingly and slowly. Not hurried, like some nights when I think if I don't kiss them and run out of the room for grown-up time fast enough, I'll die.....

It was a banner day, people. A great day. I was a 'good' mom, and enjoyed being her. Each bedtime was sweet and special. I wish I could remember moments like that more often.

...Like the next morning. Sunday morning. When each of them wanted to bite each other's heads off! Ahhh... Saturday... you were good to me. I miss you, and will think of you fondly!

1 comment:

  1. I too wish those days were more frequent when I lived up to my own expectations. Thank God for His grace and for giving children shorter memory! :)

    ReplyDelete