Monday, August 16, 2010

First Day of School

Sometimes I feel like maybe I am the most cold-hearted person.

I mean, I'm not. But ... what's wrong with me??

My oldest girl started kindergarten today. I was soooo excited for her! Yea! Kindergarten... do you remember it? It is called 'school', but it is three hours a day of fun. Painting, coloring, library books, recess - all this for the very first time. Then you come home for lunch. It doesn't get better than that folks.

There were moms crying at school today. Snapping sad, teary photos. Then there's me. I'm smiling and waving her off with a joyous goodbye.

It's not summer camp people. It is just for the morning. 2.5 hours. I mean really.

The tough gal suddenly becomes not so tough. One of the moms there has nose piercings, bleachy white hair (all spiked), body tattoos all over and 'tough lady' clothes. She was freaking out about her kid going to school. Seriously?? Lady - I beg you dress the part. Or act the part. Pick one. Seeing you dressed like that and freaking about a 3 hour separation from your kid is scaring me. You will see her again at lunch. Lunch. It is coming really soon!

Now, if you are one of those (as I'm sure at this point I am sounding cold-hearted) that have teared up, I admit, leaving Alex last year for all day school felt really long. But you'll make it through. And seeing their new excitement and joy and wonder really makes the separation worth it.

It's like the second Father of the Bride movie when Steve Martin lets his daughter move across country even though he hated the thought of that. He said it "was one of those things that fell under the category of 'I did it for their own good'." Just look at school like that too. It makes it just a little easier. Sorta. :)

Anyway, to sum up. I'm excited for her. Not excited for all the 'stuff' that school sends home my way. I'm sad to see summer go, but since I don't have a choice in the matter, I'm hoping for the best this year. We've got two really great teachers, so we're off to a good start!

Now go get yourself a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils and a brand new eraser to get in the spirit of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment