Friday, October 1, 2010

Deep thoughts...by Tara

Do you remember those early 90's SNL segments of Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy that usually didn't make much sense. This is sure to rival that.

That being said, I am feeling rather bi-polar about moving.

I guess sometimes I look around and love our house so much I can't imagine moving. The inside of the house anyway. I am not in love with our lot size, the neighbors looking down on us from 5 feet away, or the whole claustrophobic-ness of a cookie cutter neighborhood.


On the other hand, I also like having neighbors around, with neighborhood streets to walk and ride bikes. To borrow sugar from your friend as you run out of ingredients while cooking. Standing in your driveways while the kids run around together, catching up with the folks next door.

On the other hand, I want to live in the country, 'away from it all'. I want acreage, I want mountain views, I want well water, and a wood burning fireplace. But... then you don't have the neighborhood feel. No riding bikes on sidewalks. No group of neighborhood kids going from house to house....

Our house hasn't sold. But what if it does?? Where do we go? Do I want another neighborhood, not for me, but for my kids? Or do I want the country house and lifestyle, not just for me, but because I think it will be so good for my kids!! You know???

And don't even get me started on the 'country lifestyle'. I have problems. I think (I say I am sure) that I want chickens, rabbits, and a duck if we move to the country. And I also want a large garden, and homemade bread... and I want my girls in cute country dresses, and my boy having a ball just running the land outdoors, and shoot! maybe while I'm at it, I'll home school.

See what I mean... I run off on tangents. This coming from the woman who knows the value of living close to shopping malls..... I may be bi-polar indeed.


It doesn't help that I'm reading Little House in the Big Woods to the kids. It makes me want to be Ma and make the kids corn husk dolls. Then I have to think about real life and how we don't eat bears caught from Pa's traps. I live in the 21st century, and somehow, I have to find a way to blend all that I love from the simple and uncomplicated life, into this modern and not completely escapable life.

Ahh... that's my therapy for the day. If anyone is still reading.... you may know what I mean, when I say that sometimes... you just have to blurt out your thoughts.... even if they may sound crazy to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment