Monday, December 27, 2010

The Story of Us Part 1

It is the end of the year and I 'should' be writing about our family Christmas or New Years or something seasonal, like my overindulgence in food or whatnot.

But, I have been wanting to write about this for some time, so I'm starting it now.

I want to share and write about how Patrick and I became us. Our story. But first, to really appreciate 'us', I'm going to start with some background.

The story of Worm Poop.

I just love that name. I hated it a long time ago, but I love it now. Fond memories. Thanks sis!

It is the story of my first love. That's right. I said it. I loved other guys than Patrick. My first love is someone my sister referred to as Worm Poop. And I will use that name too, just because I like hearing it. (haha)

It was maybe four... three/four... years of my life that I was totally in love with him. We used to work at church together on Sunday mornings with the kids. We did this for two years together. Man! How did I look forward to Sunday mornings!! :) We worked in the same class and every time he was with a kid and being sweet I thought about how he would make a great dad.

(Yes, I really did think that far ahead...)

We were in youth group together, and I would sit so that I could see him every week. He would run his fingers through his brown hair and I would melt! He smelled sooooo good. A good smelling guy just really gets me, and he smelled good. I know, I know, nobody likes a foul smelling guy. That's not what I mean... I mean whatever product he was using - it was intentional... not like the millions of other guys out there with no smell.
Enough about smell.

He had blue eyes, a great build and I just LOVED him. I remember him driving me home from church some days in his big old car. We were driving down Powers Blvd, which at that time had a speed limit of 45 or 50, and we would be going about 70. I never told that to my mom, sorry mom... now you know... But that was so fun. It felt dangerous and grown up... and fun.

Oh, and by the way, as I'm typing this, I'm reminded I have three daughters and I'm already terrified of the teenage years... oh crap.

Anyway, I was head over heels. We were gonna get married, live happily ever after and my dear sis, she wasn't feeling the love and thus the lovely nickname. You should read the diary I was keeping at the time. Oh man is it ever funny and painful. The teen years are sooo dramatic and emotional. Sheesh.

"He said 'hi' to me. He loves me. I know it. He didn't have to say Hi, so I know it must mean he was thinking of me all day. I bet he said it in front of the mirror practicing all day...." That is not an actual quote people. I'm just basically conveying the idea of how ridiculous the diary is. Especially on the days I was ticked off by him. Or by Brenna calling him Worm Poop.

But, most first loves fall by the wayside, and this one did too. I think of him sometimes, just as a human being of course... like how is he? How did he end up? Married? Does his sister-in-law refer to him as Worm Poop too??? But basically, I just look back and laugh. I was totally completely in love, my heart broke, and would break a few more times.... but that is just what we have to do (most of us) on our journey of finding our mate.

He was mine... but I'm glad it is just funny stories now, and the distant, distant past!

2 comments:

  1. I feel as though there should be some kind of preface to the unmentioned age of your younger sister! As in, "my sister, who was quite young at the time, maybe 11, used her pre-teen vernacular to describe my first love..." Ahh, yes, that's better! :)

    Also, if this is part 1 of you and Patrick... we've got a loooong way to go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bren - yes. You were young. So was I!! I love the name though. It is hilarious. It is much more fun to use than real names. Also.. let's just say the chapters from here on out skip far far ahead.

    ReplyDelete