Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Story of Us part 2

So... now my 'first love' Worm Poop is history and I turn...I don't know... 16, 17?? Not sure when it ended exactly. I liked many boys over the years, some were short crushes, and some were long loves. And there were several boys who liked me too. Some I had no idea how much - thanks to my naivety... but my friends filled me in. ...Eventually. (ahem)

Basically, looking back on the teen years, I'm glad I don't have to do them again. I would definitely do some things differently, but I wouldn't volunteer to go back. I'm settled now. In a good way. Day in a day out I have a husband who loves me, adores me, I tick him off, he ticks me off, and we kiss and make up. We are there for each other. It's secure, and fun... and definitely not boring. (mostly because we have four kids! hello!)

But before him, there was Brian. (Unfortunately Brian didn't have a nickname, so we will have to use his actual name. Brenna - is there anything I should know here?? Did he have a nickname I can use in future stories??) heehee

When I was 20, I had this independent streak where I was going to this other church by myself for awhile. But...the irony of it, I was in their choir, but loved my 'family' church, so I was attending two churches every Sunday morning. I would race from one building to another. It was super exhausting. I did this the entire time we dated. (Brian was at the other church)

I have to admit, breaking up with him was really freeing because I could finally just go to one church again. This was 1998. Little did I know that the very next year I would start dating my husband.

As for the break-up, I played the role of "the man afraid of commitment". Brian was talking about marriage, and where we'd live, and holidays and this and that... and we were only dating for about six months. Totally freaked me out. Then one day I realized I was freaked out about a future with this guy. I was in my mom's kitchen putting away dishes with my sister and was dreading the thought of marrying this guy and spending my whole life with him.

That's when I got a clue.

So, not wanting to hurt him, (he was a nice guy) I broke up with him in a way to made him think it was his idea. And it worked too. (really) For months his roommate would come up to me and say, "don't worry, Brian and you will get back together..." like he was trying to console me, the 'broken hearted' one. (!) :0)

That was the most serious relationship I'd had prior to marriage.  But it wasn't even that fun. A few of my crushes were a lot more exciting than this was. ;)

So, moral of the story... don't marry just any 'ol nice guy.  Oh, that, and... be sure to at least look forward to a future with someone!

Now I've been both a rejected and rejectee. Time to move on again - but little did I know how close around the corner new love was!

No comments:

Post a Comment