Wednesday, September 15, 2010

More of our camping trip ~

Animals abound!
We went on a hike around BEAR lake Tuesday afternoon.
The kids were super fascinated with all the chipmunks and took to feeding a couple of them. That is, until we ran out of granola bars and the kids just let the chipmunks sniff their empty hands.

The chipmunks didn't like that so much and let Avalon know it by just barely nipping at her fingertip. (It didn't hurt her)


We got 'home' that night (to the tent) and as night was falling Patrick spun around while at the table to a noise behind him. Four feet behind him was this deer. So weird. It just stood there. I got a few shots before it slowly meandered off. (Don't deers usually jump and scamper at the nearness of humans??)


That night, in the wee early hours before dawn, the wind picked up high in the trees. But.... I also heard some rattling of our pots and pans and stove on the table. Not the whole time the wind blew, but just for a brief moment when I thought... that maybe I heard someone in our camp. I thought I heard someone walking near/around the tent.
I woke Patrick "up", and we both listened more intently. Maybe it was the wind. Maybe it was the deer back to explore. Maybe it was a bear. I had to pee, but didn't want to make a single noise. I wanted to peek out and see if I could see anything - but I know myself. I would have been frozen stiff and completely panic-stricken if I saw a bear. So I decided to just lay there and wait for morning.

That next morning, when we packed up for home and checked out we learned that there was indeed a bear in the camp last night! Whew. I'm glad I didn't see it. I wouldn't have been able to sleep a wink. He may not have been at our table... but I'm so glad all food, candy and mints were in the car and that whatever was out there did us no harm. Tell you what though - always exciting... always exciting....

No comments:

Post a Comment