Monday, December 28, 2009

Happy New Year!!

We are about to enter a new decade. Wowsers. I mean, I know this is not new news to you. Everyone is aware of the upcoming new year. Duh, right?? But it is not just a new year this time, it is a whole new decade.

I consider myself to be young, so this is only the 3rd time I remember a decade change. I remember when the clock turned midnight and 1990 became the new year. Wow! I was twelve, what a cool year to become a teenager! Just after midnight I remember standing at our large front room picture window, hiding behind the long curtains staring into the street. There is a street light in front of my mom's home and it was lighting up all of the snow. It was really pretty. And really peaceful. I had deep thoughts. (that is not a joke) I truly was pondering what lay ahead for me in life and had a very 'grown up' moment for a twelve year old.

Next decade up: 2000. I won't soon forget that year. Patrick and I were on a mini "break". I went to a wedding that night, and since I was on a 'break', it made the wedding a little less fun. Especially since they played our song for their video montage. :( So not cool. (Don't worry, all is okay - we ended up getting married and he surprised me by singing that song to me at our wedding!) :)
We survived Y2K, I quickly got back together with Patrick... and life went on. I remember where I was at midnight though, and it was definitely the start of another decade I won't forget.

Here we are at 2010. Will this decade change be emblazoned on my brain like the other two?? I have four little kids. Will I pass out from exhaustion long before midnight and sleep through it?? Will it be anti-climatic just sitting on the couch watching Ryan Seacrest rock it out in Las Vegas and NYC?? I can tell you this... we have no big smashing glamorous party planned. We have none that we are invited to. Just us. But maybe that is the perfect combination. Maybe that will be my permanent memory for this decade. It is the first new decade Patrick and I will ring in together.....(thanks to that little break, but anyhoo.....)

So maybe just the two of us on the couch kissing at midnight with a rum and coke, or a cherry Pepsi, or sparkling cider in our hands is all the 'fantastic' memory I need. Either way, I'm looking forward to a whole new DECADE to explore and live out loud. I love getting 'older' because I like who I become every year more and more. If I can continue that trend, then life is good. Really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment