Friday, December 11, 2009

Not the planned morning I was hoping for....

I backed out of my driveway this morning to take the boy to school and my emergency brake light and ABS light on the dashboard were both on. Hmm.

I pulled forward. The car felt like the brake was on. Oh silly. I reached down to release it. Um... it was not engaged. Freaky. The car was driving like the brake was on, the lights were on... but the brake itself was not on.

Thankfully I was able to get my son to ride to school with my neighbor who was just pulling out of her driveway to take her kids there. (THANKS GOD!)

I managed to get the van back in our driveway. Called hubby. Explained. Explained again. Sometimes I think he, and other guys in general, think women are overreacting. Like the car isn't really broke and I've lost my mind. What part of "it is driving like the brake is on" is not clear? Put your parking brake on and try driving. That pretty much sums it up.

So I go in the house after unloading all three other kids and start researching the internet. Turns out, when those two particular lights are on and the brake 'feels' stuck, it is extremely dangerous to drive the car.

Can I trust the internet? I call the local mechanic. Yep. Call for a tow. Don't drive the van ma'am. Okay. Tow on the way. What a morning! I was supposed to be at Target getting errands accomplished! Oh well! Thank you God that I didn't try driving it! (THANKS GOD!)




The tow truck driver comes and is from Randy's towing. I know the owners wife and son and daughter. I ask him if these are still the owners. They are. And then, all of a sudden, the tow truck driver and I bond. He has been working for them for 30 years and knows the owners like family. We talk about what a great family they are and how they have helped him through some really rough patches in his life. Aww.. a moment with the tow truck driver. (THANKS GOD.)

So, the morning didn't go as planned. In fact, if the internet is correct, we may be out several hundred dollars. Bummer. But, in the midst of a very different day than I foresaw, God has been here. My son has a ride home from school, we are all safe. The van got safely to the mechanic, and I had a moment with someone I would not have had otherwise. It is nice to see the fingerprints of God on your life, even when He is painting a different picture than you had in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment