Monday, December 21, 2009

More Toys, Please...

What is it about our culture that translates the size or cost of gifts into love??

We draw names for Christmas each year and this year I have my sister, her husband, and her two kids. Now, if she reads this, she is in for no surprises, as I have already shared these thoughts with her. I'm just taking a minute to share my thoughts with you too.

She has two and a half kids (one is still in the "oven"). I love them dearly. Sweet kids. I love being an aunt. I have five nephews and one precious niece. Somehow, though, I feel like society as a whole gets to judge how much you love someone by what you gave them.

In the email my sister sent with her 'wish list', it was my perception that the kids have a ton of toys. Toys that are all not even being played with right now, with some in Tupperware bins. (I hear ya loud and clear! Ditto our home.) The wish list for her son included things like.....pajamas.

So.... with out spoiling all the fun.... I got the kids some of the things on the wish list and avoided the toy hunt. Now, I should tell you that the kids are 1, and 3 years old, and will not remember if their aunt really blows it this year. Ya know??
But as I look at their family's unwrapped gifts as I prepare for Friday, I feel the absence of large, plastic wrapped and shiny toys means I love them less. Totally not true... I just really love their mommy and don't want to burden her with more things to litter her floor! :)

I'm a little mad that society has made me feel this way. Did you ever see the Office episode where Michael Scott gets a handmade oven mitt for the Christmas gift exchange and he is super offended at the "cheap handmade" gift??? That feeling totally permeates our culture and even I have fallen victim at times. Partly right now, in this season as I feel "certain articles of clothing" are not a "loving" gift.

I have no real conclusion to this post, other than to vent my frustration at my own thoughts and society's shallow mentality. But, there is hope. I remember being about ....6?.... years old and unwrapping Raggedy Ann underwear from my Aunt Diane. I was like... "underwear, seriously???", but I did love those panties!! And I still remember it twenty some years later! So... you never know my dear niece and nephew.... maybe I'll be your favorite auntie after all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment