Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I still luve you

Where to start... I feel like this could be a really long post, but I'll try to keep it to the main points and not lose you.

Regarding in our home: We are a family that uses spanking, time outs, time out from toys/games/TV... etc.

Really, it comes down to what works. What works for one child may not for another, or what works for one child may not work on the same child for a different "crime".

This being said, lying is a behavior I cannot stand. In any form. Even the 'little' ones. So this morning, the oldest two kids were having it out about something while I was washing up. The girl began to scream in annoyance. I called them both back to my bathroom and asked what was going on. (I knew what was going on, but wanted to hear it from them.)

My precious son lied to my face by telling me he did 'nothing'. Twice. So, as I was brushing my teeth - an epiphany came - actually it was most certainly the Holy Spirit whispering parenting advice as He usually does. I would go "old school" and have him, much like the boys and girl of the 1950's writing on chalk boards, write the sentence I will not lie ten times.

This seemed to do it. It broke him in just the right way. He didn't like the punishment (which is a good thing).

He began to write sloppily. I told him to fix his handwriting, or I would pull out a new paper and he would begin again. Meanwhile I am just doing my morning routine... hair...makeup...lotion. I am calm. His writing is still a bit sloppy but he is on sentence number 8. I tell him to write it two more times and then put the paper on Daddy's pillow for him to see when he comes home.

Oh snap!! That did it. He was even more careful about the penmanship now. He finished and put it on my side of the bed. I think he hopes over there dad won't see it! :)

Then, as we were about to leave for school I see this propped up on the computer for me:



Is that so sweet!! His 6 year old communication of love is sweet. The kids are each so different and he is probably the least boldly affectionate, but this gesture was grand! It's gonna be a great day!

1 comment: