Tuesday, January 12, 2010

No Sleep For You!

We got home from our friends home Saturday night later than the kids usual bedtime and it showed. They were melting down in front of us and we hurried to get them in bed.

Avi, the three year old, was having a hard time falling asleep. She was complaining that her tummy hurt. She has weird eating habits though. She will eat like a bird for weeks, picking at all her meals, and then, BAM! - she eats ravenously. All food in sight ends up in her mouth. She has been like this since she was a baby. So I didn't really think much of her complaint since she had eaten almost everything our host had in her home.

10:30 - Waaayyyy past the kids bedtime, I'm still comforting Avi and her need for food. I bring her some more animal crackers. Small. Not too crumbly in bed. Hearty. Then it happens. The sound every mom knows. The whine/groan that instinctively made me run to the kitchen for a bowl before I ran in to see her. And I got the bowl just in time too....

In the next hour she threw up three times. Mostly in the bowl. A little on her comforter, a little in her hair and a little on me... but we all survived.

11:30 we lay in bed ever so cautiously, listening for the smallest groan from the girls room and planning how our night will go (who has what shift when) if the barfing continues.

When you are first married you whisper sweet nothings to each other. Eight years later you whisper the barf contingency plan....

11:45 - baby wakes crying. Ugh... she hasn't been eating well lately. Maybe due to teething??? So I get up and nurse her.

11:50 - Avi makes a cry out. Hubby gets up to check on her and thankfully it is a false alarm. We get back into bed just about midnight.

Did I mention I was up early?? I'm getting kinda tired now.

12:00 - BOOM! BOOM!

What the??? We both bolt up in bed. Was that a gun??? Firecracker?? We live next to a military base, and can sometimes hear canons - but I didn't think this was one of those times. We jump out of bed and go to the front of the house to look out the windows. We inspect the front and back yards. Don't see anything right away.

As it turns out, a large burned out end of a firecracker landed on our deck. Sooo glad it didn't catch the roof or deck on fire!! Hello people. First of all, it is midnight. It is NOT a holiday. If you are trying to celebrate the new year - you are just TEN days late. And you are seven months early for the fourth of July.
Second of all - it was midnight.


We ended up getting about five hours of sleep. Which, if you have a kid with a stomach bug and a fussy baby all in one night - that ain't so bad. But still, a little too much night life for me.

1 comment:

  1. I love your comment about barf contingency plans. Yes I know the feeling. We don't have sick kids right now, but even still we take turns getting up with one or more of our three. I miss the days of real pillow talk! :)

    ReplyDelete